Sunday, June 29, 2014

keeping busy.

Whether I'm meeting someone for the first time, or catching up with someone I've known forever, the same piece of advice has been coming up in many of my conversations lately. This advice is simply, "keep busy".

So, I've been ignoring every inclination I have to hole up in my apartment with a carton of ice cream and sit in front of my laptop watching "Bridezillas" on Netflix (which, by the way, is totally my new guilty pleasure). Instead, I've spent the last couple weeks taking heed of this popular piece of advice and getting myself out and about.

Thankfully, I have many wonderful people in my life that seem to have no problem keeping me busy. So, here's a photo purge of what I have been keeping busy doing.


My last week with long hair ended with an outing to the Hillsboro Hops game. I couldn't tell you whether the Hops won or lost, but I can tell you that the free food was appreciated, and the beer was flowing. Cheers to that. 


A week ago, I took the plunge and finally worked up the courage to cut my hair! It was the first time I cut off enough to donate it, so I hope it finds itself a happy home.







On Wednesday, wedding planning continued, this time in the form of dress shopping (!!!!). It was a lot of fun, mostly because my mom and sister made sure to bring snacks and alcohol. What more can you ask for when dress shopping, right? My mother-in-law even caught me red-handed taking pulls of prosecco in the aisles. In all seriousness, I was so glad to have this experience with three of the most wonderful women in my life. We didn't find "the one" yet, but had a fun first stop on the search.


On Thursday, I was thrilled to head to Sammamish, WA to celebrate my dad's retirement at his final retirement party. After 31 years, my dad is finally taking a permanent leave-of-absence from his career with Proctor & Gamble. Dad's first job out of college was as a Sales Representative with P&G, and he's been with the company ever since. Pretty amazing, huh? Not surprisingly, he's made an incredible impact in his time with the company, and hearing all the tributes of all of his colleagues was very touching. I'm so looking forward to being roommates with this wonderful man over the next year!





On Friday, miss Dallas Defrees and I reunited and had a night out on the town with my sister. Rockin' times commence.


Saturday was wedding day! Congratulations to the gorgeous Lobdell couple! Erica and Ryan are college friends of mine, I met Erica through the sorority, and we also lived together senior year in our lovely, dilapidated live-out. Their wedding was wonderful, they had such a touching ceremony and great reception. Special thanks to my Hogan friends that let me tag along and be a wedding third-wheel. Much love to you, Mad & Ty. 





And today was about celebrating my favorite bride-to-be! Myself and a crew of bridesmaids drove down to Harrisburg for Madison's final bridal shower. This time, Tyler's Aunt & Uncle hosted. Their house is pretty much my happy place. Tyler's aunt, Rachelle, is a professional chef and the best hostess, ever. To those of you who aren't good at math, that pretty much means she constantly has delicious munchies around at all times. Today was no different, and we were completely spoiled with awesome bridal shower treats. Their house is also in the most beautiful setting, in the middle of nowhere on acreage for days. Eric, the Hogans and I have spent the past few years going to this house and camping out in their backyard during the Willamette Country Music Festival, so we've really come to love this family and so enjoy the time we get to spend with them in their wonderful home. Today was no different, and celebrating the bridal awesomeness one of my favorite people in this world was just an added bonus.

So, the moral of the story is: keeping busy really does help make the time pass more smoothly. I'm so thankful for the lovely people in my life that keep me busy in this time of adversity. Also keeping my spirits up, is the reminder that I'll be visiting Eric in Austin, Texas in just five short days!! This visit will be our last time together until he returns from deployment in May of 2015. That's a pretty heavy thought. Although it's so easy to put pressure on times like these to be "the perfect weekend" or the "best 4th of July ever", I'm simply just hoping that this weekend gives us some long-awaited quality time with each other. Can't wait, Mr. McOmie!



No comments:

Post a Comment