Saturday, February 15, 2014

love, love, love.

'Tis the season of love! The day so many people have been waiting for (and the day so many people have been waiting to pass) has come and gone. I have to admit, even I have very mixed feelings about Valentine's Day. The negative feelings mostly stem from being visually assaulted with cheap stuffed animals, hundreds of balloons, and heart-shaped everything every time I go into a grocery store after January 1st. OR being bombarded with advertisements online and over the radio about anything and everything you "should" get your valentine. Thank goodness that's over.

However, the positive feelings very much outweigh the negative ones. For my family, Valentine's day has been a fun one for as long as I can remember. My parents always made it special for Maddie and I with special love-themed breakfasts, sweet treats, pretty much anything they could dream up to make us feel special on the day of love. So, I've grown up knowing that Valentine's Day is not a day that hinges on whether or not you have a significant other, but is a day to remind any and all of those that you love just how special they are to you.

This year was no different! I woke up to the group text that some of my closest friends are in; Just typical mushy-gushy-girly stuff that we pretty much say to each other every day anyway. They always know how to start my day off right! I also had cards to open over breakfast from my mom, dad, and grandpa. Cards for myself, Eric AND Perry. Yes, Perry gets cards. Of course, I read it aloud to her. I was so humbled and spoiled once again by the love and gifts they sent our way.




Then, after heading off to work my boss (and friend) treated Molly (my coworker, and friend) and I to Starbucks, which was awesome. Nothing says co-worker-ly love like coffee in the morning! About halfway through the work day, a flower delivery came in. It was the most gorgeous bouquet I'd ever seen, and I have to admit that I was a little jealous when a coworker directed the delivery lady to put the bouquet on Molly's desk. Then someone else jumped in and went, "No, Veronica's desk is right there", and pointed to me. I was SO EXCITED that these were my flowers! I opened up the card, and saw the sweetest note from none other than Eric Robert. Even when he's away in another state and working 16+ hours every day, he still manages to find a way to make me feel loved from afar. I'm a lucky lady.


Work wrapped up early, and Molly, Emily (another coworker and friend) and I headed to the Pearl District for some happy hour. Molly is pet/house sitting for a friend, and we were able to get a few glasses of wine in at this incredible condo overlooking the river and city. Lots of girl talk, snacking, and laughing. Grimm was filming in the condo lobby, so we even got to watch a scene or two as they were filming it.

This picture doesn't do the view justice!

Last stop, Mama's house. My mom has been my Valentine date two years in a row now, and I am so glad we were able to spend it together. Her, Perry and I ate dinner and cuddled on the couch talking late into the night.

Now, Valentine's day is also special because it's also the birthday of one of my closest friends. On Saturday, I was so excited to be able to celebrate my dearest Mad Mad. Her family hosted a group of us for a fancy little dinner. Homemade chips and enchiladas with a couple of coronas? Pretty amazing. Throw in time with close friends, and that's an ideal Saturday night right there. Eric even got to FaceTime in to say "happy birthday" himself! I'm so glad I got to celebrate this wonderful friend of mine, love you Mad!

How cute is this set up?!


As the weekend wraps up, I can't help but feel warm and fuzzy knowing that so much love surrounds me. I'm also thrilled to realize that the countdown to Eric coming home is feeling much smaller. Less than 2 weeks to go! I feel like the best way to wrap up this little entry is to quote Eric himself. Last year, he wrote me a note for Valentine's day I've never forgotten. The man has quite the way with words.


On this silly day, a young man was reminded by someone very close and special to him that this is not just quite a silly day. Rather, this day is unlike any other, in that it should be a silly day in which two people can celebrate all the love surrounding them. It is an acknowledgement of the very human condition of which no other people on this planet will experience the same way as they. It is a silly day which these two can look upon the amount of dedication, resilience, respect and memories that have equally poured forth from their respective minds, hearts and bodies in pursuit of companionship unrivaled. In fact, this is no silly day, by the sound of it, it is rather extraordinary! It is a day two can pay tribute to the odds, barriers, choices and miracles that have led them to one another.




How true that is. I hope everyone had the chance to give and receive lots of love this Valentine's day, and every day thereafter.

Absolutely love my new kitchen decor ;)
My perfect Valentine's Day dates.



No comments:

Post a Comment