Monday, May 26, 2014

memorial day thoughts.

Hello readers, it's been a little while since I've updated!

Mostly, that's because I really have had a hard time thinking up anything significant to write down. I have kind of been on auto-pilot for the past couple of weeks, and I'm trying to focus on doing my best to revert back to the "living alone" routine.

I suppose it's going as smoothly as one can expect. Most of my days are filled up with work time and Perry time. I am so thankful that I can spend 40 hours a week in a job that I actually enjoy, and can come back home to a happy face. Those things alone put me in a very good state of mind for getting through this year. I also have been fortunate enough to fill much of my spare time with friends and family. There have been several nights out, dinners, lunches, happy hours, etc. I have also been focusing much of my attention on future plans, like Eric's upcoming pre-deployment party, our July trip to Austin, TX, and of course, our wedding. This week we picked our caterer, and have now officially secured all of our big-ticket items. The rest of the planning will pretty much be on my own, but we'll do our best to be as collaborative as possible even while Eric is overseas.

Eric has completed one training in Fort Hood, TX, and has moved on to another training at Gowen Field outside of Boise, ID. He stays there until June 7th, and will return home for a weekend visit! Looking forward to that little visit is a huge source of positivity for me right now, and I truly can't wait! It will be short but sweet, and our last chance to soak up each other's time in our own home. In the meantime, we've been able to communicate almost daily through texting, and have even gotten in a few phone calls.

In milestone news; today marks our one-month anniversary! How crazy, it feels like our little ceremony was just yesterday, and somehow it also feels like forever ago. Regardless, it's an absolutely wonderful feeling to be Eric's wife.

Today is also Memorial Day, and this holiday is such a somber reminder of what our military men and women are putting on the line to defend our country. I follow a blog called Defense Wife, and read an interesting entry by one of its contributors. Her words are a good reminder of what this day is all about, and I've shared them below:


"For those who lost someone in the recent wars, and those who lost someone many years ago today, it's about remembering them, and for many it will be a sad occasion. it may be the first Memorial Day without their loved one, and that will bring up painful memories, like the tearing of a scab off a wound. It is a step backward in moving forward. For others, they will tell stories and share their loved ones life with others; it will be bittersweet. Flowers will be laid, flags will be flown, balloons will be released into the air, photos will be shared, all will bring up strong emotions and plenty of tears. 
For those of us lucky enough not to be spending today in memory of our loved one, instead we remember our husband’s friends, our friends’ husbands, any and everyone who has died defending our freedoms. We don’t need to thank our husbands today, but we can tell them we are grateful they are home and hug them tight, because they are remembering all their lost buddies, even if they aren’t saying it out loud. 
Today is about remembering and  honoring all who have died in military service, defending the United States since 1775 – over 1 million of them.  At some point today, take a minute to pause and remember the true meaning of today. Teach your kids what today is really about, attend a memorial event, do something. All that is asked of us is to not forget."


On that note, I hope everyone had a lovely Memorial Day weekend. My thoughts are with all of you that have lost someone; the sacrifice and bravery of your loved ones have not been forgotten.



No comments:

Post a Comment